Views
Helpful
Replies

Turbo ACLs

shrikar.dange
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can any one help me to understand TURBO ACLs?

I have the fundamental clear about it such as:-

The configured access lists are maintian in a sequencial order and the look up time and CPU recuired is reduced.

But i need to know exactly how it works and which platforms support this function.

TIA...

regards,

shri :)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adityamanda
Level 1
Level 1

Basically, Turbo ACLs(also known as Compiled ACLs) takes a std or extended ACL, creates a set of data / lookup tables and compiles them for runtime processing. This reduces the number of CPU operations to find a match, allowing larger ACls to be used without increase in packet latency.

Suppose, Turbo ACL is activated on a router, it takes the std/extended ACL as input, creates tables based on those ACL entries, and compiles the tables to allow an arrayed match. Generally, the result is that a match is achieved in 5 steps, regardless of the size of the ACL.

This also indicates that Turbo ACLs are useful when ACL have more than 5 entries. Normal ACLs with 3-5 entries would outperform Turbo ACLs. But with 300-400 lines , Turbo ACLs would outperform sequentially searched ACLs.

for further details :

http://cco.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/dttacl.htm

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

adityamanda
Level 1
Level 1

Basically, Turbo ACLs(also known as Compiled ACLs) takes a std or extended ACL, creates a set of data / lookup tables and compiles them for runtime processing. This reduces the number of CPU operations to find a match, allowing larger ACls to be used without increase in packet latency.

Suppose, Turbo ACL is activated on a router, it takes the std/extended ACL as input, creates tables based on those ACL entries, and compiles the tables to allow an arrayed match. Generally, the result is that a match is achieved in 5 steps, regardless of the size of the ACL.

This also indicates that Turbo ACLs are useful when ACL have more than 5 entries. Normal ACLs with 3-5 entries would outperform Turbo ACLs. But with 300-400 lines , Turbo ACLs would outperform sequentially searched ACLs.

for further details :

http://cco.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t5/dttacl.htm

hi aditya,

Thanx a lot for your reply.

It is really very help full to me.

Regards,

shri :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: