cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity, SQL memory resources

sposte
Level 1
Level 1

I have a colleague who noticed the SQL memory usage growing to about 1.5 gig on a Unity 4.2 system with 2 gig of physical memory.

He has put a "cap" on SQL memory in the "SQL Server Properties/Memory dynamic memory menu" by limiting the maximum to 1 gig.

Does this present any performance issue or interfere with the Unity app?

Thanks,

Scott

3 Replies 3

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Depends on what you are running. If you running a ton subscribers on one server, then you may see delays when pressing prompts. For isntance, someone logs into VM on their phone and unity waits 5 seconds to say xxxx. This would be Unity searching through the database sloooowly trying to figure out what to do next.

Typically, like any windows box, you should reboot the server. Memory leaks are common after x amount of time. If your are running SQL 2000, make sure you are running the latest Service Pack.

On CCO, there is a new MS Unity updates package you can download. This will contain all the MS updates recommended by Cisco for Unity. Works great and you will need to run this monthly. (when it is released)

Cheers

Tim Lowrey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Scott, did you see any problems capping SQL? Do you see the high SQL memory right after a reboot? I only see the high SQL memory and Page File usage after running DbWalker.

Just curious how many subscribers do you have total in your Unity environment and is it one server or multiple servers?

Users on this box are minimal - less than 50, so performance was not an issue.

I have not tried this on a big system - and TAC has never advised doing this.

On a system where memory creep was an issue I used scheduled reboots of Unity to avoid maxing out the RAM.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: