Is their an order that you have to take the CCNP exams.

Unanswered Question
Jan 10th, 2008

I have to recertify in october I have been working with cisco routers, switch, wireless, vpn, and VOIP, for most of the time i have been certified. I wanted to take the CCVP but after studing the first few books it looks like it would complement CCNP more.

Is there an order of how you have to take the exams? If not what would be my best course of action (which order would most prepare me for the next)?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Hi Joseph

No there is no stated order that you have to take the CCNP exams in. The perceived wisdom seems to be BSCI, BCMSN, ISCW & ONT.

I am currently studying CCNP myself, just passed BSCI this morning and I suppose it depends what you are most comfortable with. I don't have a lot of Cisco equipment where I work, we are multi-vendor and when I finished the CCNA which to me seemed to be mostly about routing, I chose to carry on with routing and picked BSCI.

A colleague of mine who is more into switching started with BCMSN.

Also judging by the books, it appears that BSCI is the biggest of the topics followed by BCMSN and then ISCW and ONT appear about the same, volume wise.

So you can pick which ever of the four courses most appeals to you to start with.

Best Regards & Good luck with the studies,

Danilo Dy Fri, 01/11/2008 - 04:10

When I took the exam 7 years ago. Its called Routing, Switching, Remote Access, and Troubleshooting. At that time, either you take Routing or Switching first. Knowledge gain on them will help you on the last two exams.

Now, you can take them in this order;

4. ONT

Good luck!

This Discussion