cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Fax Server

ouhakheme
Level 3
Level 3

We are getting ready to deploy a Cisco Fax Server, does anyone have a feel of the installation? Is it very involved or is there not too much to worry about? Do we have to ensure that we poor time into Planning and Design, or am I thinking too hard?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It took about three weeks for my site to get the latest 9.3 Rightfax solution setup including testing. We have Rightfax talking SIP straight to the voice gateway using the sr140 module. Make sure you install 9.3 service release 2. We ran into a few bugs with the Outlook plugin that was fixed in the latest release. AD integration was fairly smooth. The Captaris Sync module that performs this function is pretty straight forward. If your AD structure is not too hairy like ours it's easy to cut-over Rightfax users for a smooth deployment. One thing that took the most time was creating our Fax cover sheets and getting all the doc variables set correctly. Good luck!

Damon

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

With any product, you still need to plan. Remember, Cisco Fax product is basically Captaris RightFax Solution. If still need to plan routes, SIP trunks or diaglogic cards, etc to get the fax to the fax server. From the fax server is it stored there or placed into Exchange. (which requires AD integration, etc)

I believe there are (three servers)

(1) Application server (actual fax software)

(1) Doctransport server

(1) SQL server

Depending on the config, you might be able to get away with loading all three on way, but I doubt the install will let you.

Hopefully this helps

From talking with Cisco I only need one server. I called back to confirm after reading your post. Beyond the planning, how involved is the installation for a basic foundational level with Exchange integration? 1 week? 1 month?

Thanks,

It took about three weeks for my site to get the latest 9.3 Rightfax solution setup including testing. We have Rightfax talking SIP straight to the voice gateway using the sr140 module. Make sure you install 9.3 service release 2. We ran into a few bugs with the Outlook plugin that was fixed in the latest release. AD integration was fairly smooth. The Captaris Sync module that performs this function is pretty straight forward. If your AD structure is not too hairy like ours it's easy to cut-over Rightfax users for a smooth deployment. One thing that took the most time was creating our Fax cover sheets and getting all the doc variables set correctly. Good luck!

Damon

Perfect, thank you Damon.

No problem. Have a good weekend. Thanks for rating the post.

Damon,

Would you please be able to provide sample configure of your voice gateway, and screen of your sr140 setup. I have been working with Captaris for 3 day try to get my sr140 talking sip to my 2821 voice gateway with no luck.

thanks in advance

Out of interest, which version of CallManager are you running?

I did investigate a SIP trunk with a hardware card, but ended up implementing it as an MGCP-controller back-to-back E1 from the Voice Gateway into the Brooktrout card.

Call Manager 5.1.

Verizon Trunk>>>SIP Connection>>>>2821ISR

2821ISR>>>>H323 Connection>>>>CCM5.1

2821ISR>>>>SIP Connection>>>SR140

I am curious if you were successful with your Rightfax implementation. We are having much trouble getting to work in our environment.

Thanks,

Kelly

It was a challenge getting things to run smoothly with the Brooktrout SR140 virtual board. I ended up using H323 on our voice gateway to talk to Rightfax. After tweaking several H323 settings things are running pretty well. I have since added a second Rightfax server in a " Server Collective" setup for load balancing purposes.

Many thanks.

I have done 2 installs on the Rightfax with the SR140 board. What I did was add a H323 gateway in the Call Manager that pointed to the Right Fax server and created the H323 gateway on Right Fax server that points back to the call manager. Finally to bring the two together, I created a route pattern in call manager that pointed to the H323 gateway (RIGHT FAX) that I created. My gateways have both been mgcp only and I have not had to change any configs on the gateway to make this work.

Thanks Matt! This is encouraging! I will try making this work today! Does your H323 GW on call manager show up registered?

Thanks,

Kelly

No, H323 gateways do not show up as registered. This is normal.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: