Views
Helpful
Replies

SmartNet virtual pkg level?

masterzen666
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing a WS-C2960G-48TC-L switch along with a smartnet contract 8x5x4 from a registered cisco reseller.

The reseller says we need a CON-SNTE-PKG11-VS which I find quite expensive (50% of the switch price for a 3 years contract).

How can I be sure this switch really needs a level 11 contract?

Where can I find which level covers which equipment?

Thanks,

--

Brice

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Brice, I do not have a specific link to point to that provides detail information on different types of Smarnet service contract, pergaps you may find some info here http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/svcs/ps3034/ps2827/ps2978/serv_group_home.html , however, I do know that your cisco partner sales rep should provide you with detailed information of the coverage service choices and what each of the choices entails in terms of RMAs replacement turn around time, TAC support etc.. Picking up a contract type very much depends on the organization or individual willing to not afford a long wait for a device replacement due to failure.

In my experince organizations I have been with uses maximun coverage again because company cannot afford risks of downtime. At the same time I should point that cisco devices I support that are under coverage have not failed for many years. So you may not neccesarily need a three year contract, perhaps a one year is good for you, it is not realy about the device you decide a one year or three year but the coverage, I do not believe devices are labeled with specific levels but the type of service contract itself dictates the level of service you get for your network devices. Your sales rep should be able to explain these specs in a better way.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks Jorge for your answer.

I'm do know what kind of coverage I need, I'm just puzzled about the smartnet level (ie the PKG11 part of product code). Based on the sole price of the smartnet package, I was wondering if the rep didn't made a mistake and choose a PKGXY that is higher than the equipment I want to cover.

Since those PKGXY are quite opaque I don't have any means to know which category my switch falls into.

Thank,

Brice

Never mind I found the answer in the SCC:

http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/front.x/scccibpdispatch

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card