cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network connectivity on a PIX 515E

larryfocust
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I'm having serious issues getting a PIX 515E seen on the network to perform a password recovery. I set the address, gateway, and server address. Setup the tftp server, but iI cannot ping the device. Any sugestions?

8 Replies 8

adam.sellhorn
Level 4
Level 4

Have you looked at the following procedure to do this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_password_recovery09186a008009478b.shtml

I've had issues with this when trying to use any interface other then interface 0 for password recovery. Are you trying to use interface 0?

yes, I'm trying interface 0, all ping requests time out. Also yes, I am trying to use that procedure, but until i can connect........ nothing doing

Interesting, I just pulled one of my old 525's down and tried this with the same result you seem to be getting. I ended up having to not specify a gateway address to get this to work. After configuring the interface, address, server, and file on the PIX I was only able to ping from my PIX to the tftp server and not the other way around...

My configuration (FYI):

tftp server address 192.168.98.130

PIX interface 0 address 192.168.98.131

Adam, i configure

interface 0 to 192.168.70.200

gateway 0.0.0.0

server 192.168.42.41

i cannot ping to or from it but it tries to read np63.bin from tftp server. Though i get the message: cannot read specified file each time it tries to connect............any suggestions?

Since you cannot specify a subnet mask the PIX will assume a classful network mask for you. In your case it will be 255.255.255.0 (192.x.x.x = Class C). So using an interface IP of 192.168.70.x and a server IP of 192.168.42.x you would have to use a default gateway. What I would recommend trying is installing a tftp server, like pumpkin, on a laptop or PC and plugging directly into your PIX, interface 0, and configuring your two devices to be in the same subnet.

Adam, I have setup a laptop using the same config as you did but I keep getting the same errors."TFTP Failed (return:-10 arg:0x2)" in Hyperterminal, and "Could not open requested file for reading" on the TFTP Server.

At this point I can only guess that maybe it's a permissions issue on the np63.bin file itself. Can you verify that your TFTP server has read access to this file?

Adam, I just got it.For some reason i tried another tftp server and it worked. Though I couldn't ping to or from (very strange). But I can't thank you enough for all you suggestions and help.

Larry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: