Analog phone not working

Unanswered Question
Jan 10th, 2008

Hi,

I have 1 out of several analog conference phones not working. I go off hook and get dial tone. I dial the digits and they do not seem to be transmitted because I keep getting the dial tone.

I am using a VG248.

Thansk,

Randall

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Rob Huffman Fri, 01/11/2008 - 07:17

Hi Randall,

If you switch two of the phones, working/non-working does the problem follow the phone or does it relate to the Jack/Port?

Usually when a phone "can't break dial tone" it is related to a Polarity issue. You can try changing the Line Cord on the non-working set.

Let us know,

Rob

rcrumm_2 Wed, 02/06/2008 - 09:21

Rob,

Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I was sick and this was not so hot.

Anyway, I tried a working phone and I am finding the same reuslts. I am trying to troubleshoot a fax machine with the same issue.

I'm going to have a cable guy test the lines tomorrow.

What can I look at next?

thanks,

Randall

Rob Huffman Wed, 02/06/2008 - 09:37

Hi Randall,

No worries my friend :) Wait until the lines are tested. If the Tip/Ring are crossed and the Phone or Fax is Polarity sensitive this can be fixed by him.

Let us know,

Rob

rcrumm_2 Wed, 02/06/2008 - 09:44

Rob,

One question.

If I plug in a phone to a walljack that is connected to an unconfigured VG248 port will I get dial tone?

thanks,

Randall

Rob Huffman Wed, 02/06/2008 - 12:29

Hi Randall,

I just tested this on one of our VG248's and you do not get dialtone.

Hope this helps!

Rob

rcrumm_2 Wed, 02/06/2008 - 13:13

Thanks. sounds more like the wiring. i'll let you know what we come up with tomorrow.

Randall

rcrumm_2 Mon, 03/03/2008 - 14:57

Rob,

I finally got this checked out. It was bad ports on the vg248. two right next to each other...go figure

Randall

Rob Huffman Mon, 03/03/2008 - 15:17

Hi Randall,

Well there's a first for everything :) I have not ever come across this before. Did you RMA the VG248? If not, I would open up the RJ21 connector on the VG I'll bet that the problen is in this cable connector. Anyways, 5 points for posting back with your resolution. It's very helpful when people follow up like you have here.

Take care and thanks again!

Rob

Actions

This Discussion