Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager UT - Subnet Acquisition / Ping Sweep

muttman15
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Having some issues retrieving the full set of information from certain devices in User Tracking Reports (these devices at a remote site). I am only recieving the MAC address, devicename, ports and last seen info (missing subnet, IP address, hostname)

I was wondering if a router is needed to be included in the list of devices being collected. I cleared out all devices from the Campus database and focused on a set of 8 switches to clarify my issue as other switches in the core network are OK.

The devices I have loaded appear in Discovery and Data collection just fine, but when I go into User Tracking Admin for the aquisition properties, the associated subnet ranges for these switches do not appear in the "Ping Sweep" or "Configure Subnet Acquisition". So does it need a router in there too, or should the switches themselves suffice?

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A router does not need to be in the list of seed devices, but a router for each subnet from which you want IPs MUST be properly data collected, and showing up on the Topology Map with a green router icon.

Campus can get ARP info from certain layer 3 switches. It depends on the switches in question, though.

Hi,

Could you please clarify something not clear to me?

I quote:

'associated subnet ranges for these switches do not appear in the "Ping Sweep" or "Configure Subnet Acquisition"'

Do I understand correctly, if I say that the answer to this issue is that :

Those subnets aren't visible because the Layer3 device (router or core switch) 'in charge' of any of those subnets is not managed by LMS (not reachable because of SNMP issue, not compatible with LMS, third-party device etc.) ?

I read something about a link between VLAN configuration on devices and subnets in CM.

Could that be in cause as well (e.g. because no VLAN has voluntarily been deployed on the campus' network) ?

Pellizzari

Another question on the matter...

How does User Tracking retrieve end host IP addresses exactly (when ping sweep is disabled)?

Me, I think that it takes them (as you say) from layer3 devices' ARP tables, so that in the case UT cannot access the layer3 device on a subnet, IP addresses won't be retrieved.

My boss, he thinks that UT discovers IP addresses by performing ARP requests itself; that's why it's not able to retrieve them from 'over-the-edge' networks (whose layer3 device, LMS cannot manage, for the same reasons i quoted earlier on).

Who's right ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco