cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem booting new switch Catalyst 4503

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I have a new out of the box Catalyst 4503-E. It has ISO file in the bootflash of cat4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA10.bin. The porblem is it just boots into ROMMON mode and never gets to the switch> mode so I can do the config on the switch. I also get an error......Unknown backplane 5 and Unsupported chassis type 65535, system can not boot. I have attached the output showing these errors. I am told that it is the wrong IOS and I need to put IOS cat4500-ipbasek9-mz.122-37.SG1.bin or newer....is this true. If so how, in ROMMON mode can I delete the bad IOS? I can't tftp the other one on as there is not enough room for both and I do not have compact flash installed on this switch.

Thanks,

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

You've got one of the new E chassis, which wasn't supported in EWA code.

You didn't say what kind of supervisor you have, but i'd imagine it probably has a compactflash drive in the front.

Put the 12.2(37)SG image on a compactflash card, and boot to it from ROMMON.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

You've got one of the new E chassis, which wasn't supported in EWA code.

You didn't say what kind of supervisor you have, but i'd imagine it probably has a compactflash drive in the front.

Put the 12.2(37)SG image on a compactflash card, and boot to it from ROMMON.

Thanks...that is what it was. I loaded the correct IOS and it worked great. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card