Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending CO VLAN

pbvijay1223
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have 5 VLANs (Inter vlan routing is done). i want to extend this all 5 vlan to 6 remote branches. which are the technologies i can use to extend this 5 VLANs to my branches

Thank you

Vijay K

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Vijay

Firstly it depends on what type of WAN connectivity you already have. If you are using MPLS connectivity you can talk to your SP about running VPLS between your sites which allows you have the same vlans shared between your sites.

If your WAN connectivity is ethernet based then you can simply set the connections up as layer 2 trunks.

Another option would possibly be L2TPv3 which would allow you to extend a vlan(s) across a L3 routed network - see attached link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns588/networking_solutions_white_paper09186a008017fa6e.shtml

Alternatively do you actually need to extend these vlans or do you just need to give access to the 5 vlans from your remote sites. If so you could just route between your remote sites and the HQ.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you Jon i got my answer.

Vijay K

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card