cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with dialer 1 and ATM 0 interface.

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I am using a Cisco 1841 with an ADSL card for a VPN. For real time bandwidth monitoring I use Solarwinds and monitor the ATM 0/0/0 port and it seems to show the correct bandwidth after testing with it (copying files etc).

Now I also use the free Netflow analyzer tool to monitor 2 interfaces. I monitor dialer 1 and fast ethernet 0. After doing same test to see if Netflow is showing the right stats it seem I may be monitoring the wrong interface as the stats don't make sense.

I turned off ip route-cache flow from dialer 1 and added it to atm 0/0/0 and it won't push any stats to my Netflow server for atmo 0/0/0 even though Solarwinds shows stats on this interface.

What is ATM 0 and Dialer 1?

3 Replies 3

timkaye
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

The ATM interface is the DSL interface, where the Dialer interface is a logical interface that uses the underlying ATM interface.

You'll only get Netflow stat off an interface configured with IP (such as the Dialer).

How do the stats not make sense?

whiteford
Level 1
Level 1

This is what I thought, I monitor the remote atm 0 using Solarwinds to give me realtime receive and transmit stats and it works great, if I monitor the dialer 1 port it hardly shows any data. I'm getting different readings for netflow, it won't let me monitor atm 0 only dialer 1 and the fast ethernet ports and a vi1 port what ever that is. Anyway I copied a huge file to a user and went to check netflow had captured this and the size and it did but only said I had transferred 10mb and not the 500mb I had transferred, am I doing something wrong?

What product are you using for Netflow?

Be sure you looking at the right direction for the traffic for Netflow. The 10MB may simply be the return traffic generated by the transfer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco