cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet to 7200 Router

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

The problem i face is that every 3-4 days this kind of router does not let me connect to it via telnet. I tried also via a switch which is directly connected with it but nothing. If i do not restart it , nothing happen.

Meantime i can connect via console.

What might be the problem.

Thanks

moses

5 Replies 5

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Moses,

First can you post the configuration under the VTY lines, we need to check somethings like the exec-timeout, can you also please post a show users and show line.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

I will post them tomorrow.

Thanks a lot.

moses

the show ... is at the attachment.

Thanks a lot

moses

Hi Moses,

Your posted output shows that you have configured "exec-timeout 0 0", which will keep the session (no timeout) unless you explicitly exit and terminate it (you can see that one of your sessions is 4 days ago), try configuring "exec-timeout 5 0", this will automatically terminate the session after 5 min idle, and you shouldn't face such problems again.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hcf_r/cfn_03h.htm#wp1035605

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Another solution, add to your config:

service tcp-keepalives-in

service tcp-keepalives-out

PS:

This and the exec timeout are not exclusive. Exec timeout will drop if there is no activity although the TCP session is up. The keepalives will drop if the TCP session is lost.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: