cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network design with EIGRP

moses12315
Level 1
Level 1

My network is a hub and spoke network(monstly). My remote sites have 5-10 users.

Meantime i have a lot of 3550 switches layer 3.

The last 3 months i am trying to migrate from RIPv2 to EIGRP.

At every remote site i have a router 1700 series,and in some cases C800 series . Also i have a switch L2 cisco.

At every remote router i run EIGRP stub network . The question is this.

What is better to do?

Leave the Router running EIGRP stub network with a L2 switch or L3 switch(working as a L2 switch), or install a L3 switch at remote site which will run EIGRP stub network(and configure the router to run a full EIGRP). Which design will increase my network performance.

Thanks moses

6 Replies 6

nasheer.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

In my view,Use the router to run EIGRP with L2 Switch.Use MD 5 Authentication for secure routing.

We will wait for more comments from Experts !!

regds

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Moses,

In hub and spoke networks, convergence tunning is not an issue since there are no multiple paths or complex network topology, thus i'd only use routers running EIGRP stub and L2 switches.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mohammed is dead-on with his suggestion. I only recommend L3 switch at a remote site if you have multiple Vlans. Inter-Vlan routing at the L3 switch is much faster (locally) than using the router.

Have you migrated to EIGRP or planning to ? It wasn't clear from the post. What kind of WAN connection do you have ? Frame-Relay or Point-to-Point ? If Frame-Relay, did you create subinterfaces at the hub ?

HTH,

___

Edison.

Actually remote site have only 5-10 users so implement VLANs i think is not importand.

The link is leased line 64 Kbps but soon i will change it to Frame Relay 128 Kbps. I do not Know if i answered all your questions.

So what is best to do. EIGRP stub at the router and configure the L3 switch to work as L2 or EIGRP full for the Router and EIGRP stub for the switch.

Thanks all for your time

moses

Keep in mind, if you plan to use Frame-Relay and do not use subinterfaces for the spokes, you need to disable split-horizon on my main interface from the hub.

EIGRP stub at the spokes and full EIGRP at the hub would be the ideal design.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks a lot

I didn't know that.

moses

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: