Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 controller, cisco 1841....

gauravshar
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

My cisco 1841 router does not respond anything to the command 'sho controllers e1'. It shows a 'serial 1T WAN daughter card, WIC-1T' as the result of 'sho diag' command. Recently an E1 link has been terminated on this interface but 'sho int ser0/0/0' shows 1544kbps bandwidth. Moreover, the later command also shows 'total available bandwidth 1148 kbps' as one of the line out of all the lines of the command output. We have ordered this E1 in Hong kong, just in case it has anything to do with location.

find the attachment.

Kindly assist.

Gaurav

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In order to have a T1 controller, you need an internal CSU/DSU.

You have a regular serial card and if you want information from that card, the command show controller s0/0/0 is what you are after.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You have the wrong module, contact your Cisco reseller for a module swap.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for the valuable advice. Can you please suggest some correct module/card which may suffice my requirements?

Thanks in advance...!

thanks again, sir.

Just one more question: how did you come to know that the module is not compatible? If the 'sho controllers e1/t1' command does not show anything, does this prove that the controller/module is not compatible?

thanks again..!

It's not is not compatible but you have the wrong module for your task. A T1 is used in North America and the E1 is used in Europe and other countries such as in your case Hong Kong.

You had to have a module with E1 on it. The one you have only support T1 connection.

Take a moment and read this document for E1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-carrier

and this document for T1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Signal_1

Edison, kindly tell- does the blank-output of command 'sho controllers e1' hold any significance, because for rest of the sites (all USA) the corresponding routers show everything about the t1 controllers attached.

just another confusion, you have already resolved my main problem though.

gaurav

The command 'sho controllers e1' will return information only if you have the physical controller installed on the device. If you don't, it returns with no value.

But, Edison, I'm not getting any output for 'show controllers t1' either. According to you this controller is T1-controller so my router should show the t1-controller details for 'show controllers t1', which this does not show. Kindly advice.

Thanks in advance.

gaurav

VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1

watch out for loads of dead on arrivals for this module.

Cisco will remove this post/

thanks buddy.. but my question still remians...

why does the t1 controller not responding to 'show controllers t1', though corresponding serial interface is showing a lot of stuff for 'show controllers ser0/0/0'?

Kindly let me know where am I wrong if at all I'm.

Please post the output from typing show tech

plz find attached the 'sho tech' output.

In order to have a T1 controller, you need an internal CSU/DSU.

You have a regular serial card and if you want information from that card, the command show controller s0/0/0 is what you are after.

Now the problem needs to be revisited as till now I was under impression that I have a wrong module, but now as i've realized that it is a normal serial card with CSU/DSU external to the router, kindly assist me in knowing whether it is problem with our end or Service provider end. Service provider though says that they have configured the E1 frame-relay correctly, evenif sho int se0/0/0 shows the BW of T1. You can see that in 'show tech' output attached.

Thanks for the responses.

Gaurav

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card