Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client : Default Gateway

ddugailliez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have ASA 5505 with ASA v 8.0.3 and ASDM v 6.0.3.

The VPN connection works, the client receive the IP from the define pool but the default gateway is not correct. Is it possible to define the gateway in the pool ?

thank you

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dimitri

I am not clear what default gateway you expected, what default gateway you got, or what was no correct about the gateway. Perhaps you can clarify?

In my experience many people are surprised that the gateway address is the clients own address and not some other address in the subnet as we normally expect with a LAN client. But this is normal behavior on what is essentially a point to point connection from the client to the concentrator. Is this perhaps what you were thinking was an error?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mfcornett
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having a similar issue- no matter what vpn pool I use the ASA intermittently assigns wrong gateway. Say I assign vpn_pool of 192.168.2.100 - .110, the ASA assigns gateway of 192.168.2.1 to VPN client. Then after a few minutes, it will show up blank...then revert back again.

Makes no difference what the pool is assigned i.e. 192.168.1.x, the ASA gives .1 as the gateway.

I've got split-tunnel enabled and when the ASA assigns the wrong gateway, clients lose internet and can't access some network drives.

Any Ideas?

What subnet mask are you using? That along with your network address can be the issue.

Ended up being an access-list problem. Removed the following from splitTunnelAcl:

standard permit any

Not sure how that ended up in there- once that was removed, everything worked fine.

Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: