cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reloading firmware onto Catalyst 2900xl switch

tim
Level 1
Level 1

The software in my switch is corrupted. I am trying to load a new copy by following the directions in the manual. I entered in copy xmodem:flash:image_filename and it comes back copy [-b <buffer_size>] <src_file> <dst file>. And i have tried entering different varibles and changing the phrasing of the code, but i'm still comming up with the same result. It does not accept the download when i try sending the file via xmodem. The file name i have is c2900x1-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC17

Thanks again for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here's the process I use when using XModem with 3560s, from what I remember:

copy xmodem: flash:

enter filename of file as it should appear in flash

important is the space between "xmodem:" and "flash:" I didn't see the space in your first example.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hi,

Load the file with tftp. The file must be located on a tftp server.

The server must have an IP on the same network of the IP address of the switch.

Here you can find "Upload/Download Files to/from a TFTP Server" http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps700/products_tech_note09186a008015bfab.shtml#cat2900

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Massimiliano.

since the firmware is corrupted it is not letting me enter the enable command. In the dir all i see is flash, xmodem, null, bs. So i am trying to do an upload through xmodem. I am following these instructions.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/releasesa4/icg/matrbl.html#wp3820

i am still not getting anywhere.....

Here's the process I use when using XModem with 3560s, from what I remember:

copy xmodem: flash:

enter filename of file as it should appear in flash

important is the space between "xmodem:" and "flash:" I didn't see the space in your first example.

it did not prompt me for a file name. It said begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now.... and then it said permission denied.

I entered

switch: copy xmodem: flash

Ok, now upon edit, i got it working.

I will type it exactly as the display shows

switch: copy xmodem: flash:filename

do not leave a space between the colon of flash and the file name or it will say access denied. Also the file name that you are transferring must be identical to the file name you entered after the colon of flash.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card