Views
Helpful
Replies

Phone registering CUCM 6.1

Alf Martinsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Where and how do i change the settings in CUCM 6.1 so that my devices register only on the pub or on the sub server?

/alf

4 Replies 4

Rajesh Revuru
Level 4
Level 4

Your phone registers accordingly to the list of call managers in call manager group which it derives from the device pool.

So if you want some phones to register to pub and some to sub, you would create two call manager groups, and two device pools and associate phones accordingly

HTH

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Alf,

This registration is determined using the relationship between Device Pools and Callmanager Groups. By design, you can specify where a phone registers by assigning it to a specific Device Pool this in turn will look at a Callmanager Group that lists a Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Callmanager server. Here is some related info;

Here is some info about CCM Load Balancing;

Balanced Call Processing

After installing the Cisco Unified CallManagers that form a cluster, you should, as much as possible, evenly balance the call-processing load across the system by distributing the devices (such as phones, gateways, CTI route points, CTI ports, and route lists) among the various Cisco Unified CallManagers in the cluster. To distribute the devices, you configure Cisco Unified CallManager groups and device pools and then assign the devices to the device pools in a way that achieves the balance you want.

Cisco Unified CallManager groups and device pools represent logical groupings of devices that you can arrange in any way that you want. For ease of administration, make sure that all the devices in a group or pool share a common and easily identified characteristic, such as their physical location on the network.

You can also use Cisco Unified CallManager groups to establish redundancy (backup call processors) for the primary Cisco Unified CallManager in the group. A Cisco Unified CallManager group comprises an ordered list of up to three Cisco Unified CallManager servers. During normal operation, the first (primary) Cisco Unified CallManager in the group controls all device pools and devices that are assigned to that group. If the primary Cisco Unified CallManager in a group fails, control of the device pools and devices that are registered with the primary Cisco Unified CallManager transfers to the next Cisco Unified CallManager in the group list.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00806b036a.html#wp1025126

Cisco Unified CallManager Groups

A Cisco Unified CallManager group comprises a prioritized list of up to three Cisco Unified CallManagers. The first Cisco Unified CallManager in the list serves as the primary Cisco Unified CallManager for that group, and the other members of the group serve as secondary (backup) Cisco Unified CallManagers.

Cisco Unified CallManager groups associate with devices through device pools. Each device belongs to a device pool, and each device pool specifies the Cisco Unified CallManager group for all of its devices.

Cisco Unified CallManager Groups:

Call processing load balancing You can configure device pools and Cisco Unified CallManager groups to distribute the control of devices across multiple Cisco Unified CallManagers.

Device Pools

Device pools provide a convenient way to define a set of common characteristics that can be assigned to devices.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008073ee5d.html#wp1059777

Hope this helps!

Rob

EDIT: Rajesh, you are too fast for my complete lack of typing skills :)

Hi, and thanks so far.

I see that i have one Default group, and one pub-sub group, whereas the default group is the one marked with auto-registration, and all device pools are at this moment set to the defaultgroup. If i change the group information so that auto-registration is set to the pub-sub group, and then change the Device pool to use this one, then phones should start registering on the ex sub server?

Would that be correct?

/alf

Hi Alf,

You are correct here! Make sure that in the Pub-Sub Group that the servers are listed in the order (top down) that you want the phones to register to, Subscriber First/Publisher Second. You will have to boot the phones to get them to move over to the Sub.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: