CCNA LAb

Unanswered Question
Jan 13th, 2008

Hi Everyone,

I currently starting to study again for my ccna Again, start last year but didn't go well marriage, son starting school, and started a new job put a stop to my studying. Anyway I purchased a lab kit before which included (2) 2501 routers and a 1900 switch, I want to add a third maybe fourth router in the mix. Would you recommend the 2611? I do plan to purchase a 2950 switch or can I get away with the 2924 to save few bucks? Oh I forgot I thanks to our network admin at work I also have a Pix 501.

Thank you; any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)

Hi Mike

I would suggest adding a 2520 to your lab to be used as a Frame Relay switch and then also maybe the 2611. This would allow you set up a Hub and Spoke Frame Relay configuration with maybe the 2611 as your hub and the two 2501's as your spoke routers.

I would definately pick up at least 1 2950 if your budget allows. From when I was studying for my own CCNA I remember that the command set used in all of the study material apeared to be from the 2950's. My CCNA home lab had 1 x 2950 and 1 x 2924XL.

Finally an "Nice to Have" would be a 2509 or 2511 to act as an access server. This means that you do not need to keep swapping the console cable around while configuring the equipment in your lab.

I have attached a possible Lab configuration to this mail. This is pretty much the setup I used when studying for my CCNA. I hope it helps a little.

Best Regards,

Michael

Attachment: 
bigmike203 Mon, 01/14/2008 - 18:09

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your response all your suggestion is greatly appreciated and very helpful. I am definitely going to pickup a 2950 and maybe a 2521and 2610 in a week or two. Did you purchase your routers from eBay or else where? Thanks again and great home lab by the way.

Mike

Hi Mike

Glad the information was of some help.

Yep, all my kit has come from Ebay. You can get some great bargains there, only downside is that buying Cisco kit can become addictive :)

My lab has grown quite a bit now that I am studying for my CCNP.

Well good luck with the shopping & the studies,

Best Regards,

Michael

Actions

This Discussion