Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Hostname in RME/CM

aijaz802
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any way to get the switches/routers hostname in the RME/CS/CM reports. Now I'm getting IP address and hostname field is empty. I'm not using the DNS. I' using LMS 2.5

Thanks..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The only way for LMS to automatically determine the hostname is by using some form of IP name resolution. This can be either DNS or local hosts files.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can do this in one of two three. The first is to update the DCR display name for each device to be that device's hostname. The display name will be used to identify a device in Common Services, RME, and Campus Manager, but not in DFM.

The other way is to add each device to the local hosts file. Once you do that, adding:

nameserver.updateDCRDisplayName=true

In NMSROOT/campus/etc/cwsi/DeviceDiscovery.properties, then running a new Device Discovery will update the DCR display name with the each discovered device's hostname.

The third way involves adding the devices to the local hosts file just as before, then manually updating the DCR hostname and display name fields with each device's hostname.

Adding entries to the local hosts file is best as DFM will be able to use this information when establishing its display name value for a device.

Thanks Clarke...

Is there any other way to use the name that comes when u do the sh cdp nei det.. in hostname/device name field. presently the reports has device name as ip address.

I have seen in CM/Reports/Analyze ANI..as this

[ABCSC3550-BUN]: container(DeviceAndLinkPoller,ref(10.10.10.51 hostname: 10.10.10.51))

When its able to know the device name why its not displaying in CM reports..

Thank.

The only way for LMS to automatically determine the hostname is by using some form of IP name resolution. This can be either DNS or local hosts files.

Thanks...

Now I'll use the host file. I'm bit confused about the diff. between hostname/device name/display name in CW...would u please clarify..

Thanks...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: