cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failing Port, No Error, Help!

swappedsr
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 24 port cisco switch 2924 and port 22 isn't functioning and there are no errors in any of the logs that I can see? This isn't the first time this has happened, it seems like random ports on occasion just stop working with nowhere for me to troubleshoot, because it isn't logging any errors. For instance, we have an office that has two live ports, the ports have been working fine for months with no issues then one of the ports just stops working, so today i hooked a laptop up the port directly to the problem port on that switch and nothing, I changed the auto-neg to 10mb on that port and still nothing, rebooted the switch, nothing. No errors have been logged, why won't this port work?

4 Replies 4

swappedsr
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone??

what do you see when you type "show log"? do you have port-security enabled in this switch? check the pins in the switch port for possible misalignment with your ethernet cable.

No port security, show log doesn't show any errors at all on the switch, it just shows that I restarted it yesterday and that port 22 (problem port) was adminstratively down at one point, because I set it that way and tried enabling it again, but it didn't work. Port 22 just shows link is down, line is down even when plugged in directly to that port with a laptop. There don't seem to be any misalignment issues that I can tell either. This one is a mind boggler. Can a port go bad and not be recognized that it is bad by the unit? Thanks for the replies.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It possible its on its way out , that switch is at least a dozen years old . Look in the logs after rebooting the switch for problems or watch it boot up while POST is running and see if the hardware test fail anywhere. Otherwise it is faulty .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: