cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Phones displaying "Requesting Template" and "Requesting Softkey Set"

hrafloski
Level 1
Level 1

I have some 7940 phones that are showing a blank display, but error messages "requesting template" and "requesting softkey set". Users cannot call out, and when I call the numbers, the calls go directly to vm. All of the phones are registering fine with the call manager, so they appear to be up.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Hannah,

That is an "odd" one isn't it :)

Can you please try this method to Delete the DN's in question (the 5 bad boys) via the Route Plan Report and then try re-using one of them;

Deleting Unassigned Directory Numbers

This section describes how to delete an unassigned directory number from the route plan report. Directory numbers get configured and removed in the Directory Number Configuration window of Cisco CallManager Administration. When a directory number gets removed from a device or a phone gets deleted, the directory number still exists in the Cisco CallManager database. To delete the directory number from the database, use the Route Plan Report window.

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Choose Route Plan > Route Plan Report.

The Route Plan Report window displays. Use the three drop-down list boxes to specify a route plan report that lists all unassigned DNs.

Step 2 Three ways exist to delete directory numbers:

a. Click the directory number that you want to delete. When the Directory Number Configuration window displays, click Delete.

b. Check the check box next to the directory number that you want to delete. Click Delete Selected.

c. To delete all found unassigned directory numbers, click Delete all Found Items.

A warning message verifies that you want to delete the directory number.

Step 3 To delete the directory number, click OK. To cancel the delete request, click Cancel.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed686.html#wp1024696

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Hannah,

Can you please check to see if these phones (the non-working ones) have something in common. Perhaps they are all using the same Device Pool and Phone Button Template. Try using the same settings as one of your working 7940's for these two Parameters.

Let us know,

Rob

Hi!! Thanks for your reply. I checked the config for all these phones (5 of them) and they're no different from ones that are working. I deleted one of the extensions and put a different extension on the same phone and the phone worked. I took the "bad" extension and placed it onto a working phone, and that phone stopped working. The display would show date/time, but otherwise looks blank. As soon as I removed the extension, the phone worked again. When I call the "bad" extensions, the calls go directly to their vm boxes, but none of the extens were fwded. The problem seems to be following the "bad" extensions.

Hannah

Hi Hannah,

That is an "odd" one isn't it :)

Can you please try this method to Delete the DN's in question (the 5 bad boys) via the Route Plan Report and then try re-using one of them;

This section describes how to delete an unassigned directory number from the route plan report. Directory numbers get configured and removed in the Directory Number Configuration window of Cisco CallManager Administration. When a directory number gets removed from a device or a phone gets deleted, the directory number still exists in the Cisco CallManager database. To delete the directory number from the database, use the Route Plan Report window.

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Choose Route Plan > Route Plan Report.

The Route Plan Report window displays. Use the three drop-down list boxes to specify a route plan report that lists all unassigned DNs.

Step 2 Three ways exist to delete directory numbers:

a. Click the directory number that you want to delete. When the Directory Number Configuration window displays, click Delete.

b. Check the check box next to the directory number that you want to delete. Click Delete Selected.

c. To delete all found unassigned directory numbers, click Delete all Found Items.

A warning message verifies that you want to delete the directory number.

Step 3 To delete the directory number, click OK. To cancel the delete request, click Cancel.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed686.html#wp1024696

Hope this helps!

Rob

I deleted one of them, and rebuilt it, and it works!! Thanks Rob!! Do the extensions get corrupt somehow? Why would deleting the Unassigned DN work? If it explains it in the doc, I'll read it. I'm just so glad it worked! Thank you Thank you!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Hannah,

First off, you are most welcome! There should be a section in all CCM Guides with this info in large bold Red text but sadly not much. This requirement changed around CCM 4.x before that in earlier CCM versions if you removed a number via the Phone/Directory number config it was removed completely. But now you must follow the listed procedure. Here are a couple of references;

When you remove a directory number from a phone, the number still exists within Cisco CallManager. To see a list of directory numbers that are not associated with phones, use the Route Plan Report menu option.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/4_1_3/ccmcfg/b06phone.html#wp1121142

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/4_1_3/ccmcfg/b03rtrep.html#wpxref22023

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Yes, this info really helps :). I'm still a bit concerned that since these were working extensions that suddenly crapped out (all 5 phones had the same symptoms), is there any way to prevent this from happening to other seemingly healthy lines? Is there a tool that would be able to see errors on current working lines?

Thanks,

Hannah

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: