cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-LAP1232AG-A-K9 and POE 802.3af problems

steven.main
Level 1
Level 1

I have six of these access point that I need to put in. I have flashed all but 1 from LWAP to IOS. I have 2 Linksys/Cisco POE (802.3af) switch. 1 srw224p (24-port) and 1 srw208p (8-port). In the 24 port switch I have 2 Axis IP camera's, also POE and working.

Here is the issue; when I connect an access point to the 8-port switch, it powers on POE. It DOES NOT power on POE in the 24-port switch. I contacted Linksys support who sent me an RMA replacement srw224p switch which I received today. Same problem but the cameras work fine.

any ideas....

8 Replies 8

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Steven,

Do you have other PoE devices using this 24-port switch? It looks like it doesn't have the Power Budget to power all devices at 15.4 watts (the 1232 needs more than 7.5 watts);

Automatic Load Sensing - Power control circuitry automatically detects Power over Ethernet on access devices before providing power. Power feeding of Ethernet is provided on the 10/100 Base-T ports with maximum output power per port of up to 15.4W simultaneously on 12 ports. Alternatively, the switch can power all ports at a maximum of 7.5 W per port. Independent overload and short-circuit protection for each port is provided. LED indicators for power status are provided per port.

Hope this helps!

Rob

I currently have 2 Axis camera on this switch. The switch which DOES power on the 1232AG's actually has 3 Axis cameras in it and remember I pointed out that it is an 8-port.

Total power distributed by the switch is 180W. I'm nowhere near that...I have disabled the poe on half of the ports and each port is set to critical and 15400....

Steve

Hi Steven,

Sorry about that. I thought that this line indicated the 24-port not working;

"Here is the issue; when I connect an access point to the 8-port switch, it powers on POE. It DOES NOT power on POE in the 24-port switch."

I'll keep looking my friend :)

Rob

Rob, I'll clarify...the 24-port does power on the axis camera, two of them. The 8-port powers on 3 axis cameras. All POE. The 24-port does NOT power on the access points (POE) the 8-port does....

Hope this helps as I may not have been clear...

Steve

Since this shouldn't be an issue with an 802.3af switch, I hesitate to bring it up, but if your controllers are running any of the new code that allows cdp neighbor you may need to turn that off. In the olden days, you could have either the A radio or cdp neighbor but not both. I just got slapped by this recently, when I upgraded to the new code in the controller and discovered I was in a switch in one facility that could not handle everybody all using cdp, the A and b/g radio.

sh inline power

sh power inline

I forget...but one of these should tell you where you are at...

long story short, if you have cdp capability, you should attempt to turn it off and then reboot everything and see what happens.

Thanks for the info but no go. The Aironets have been converted from LWAP to IOS.

Thanks for the info but no go. The Aironets have been converted from LWAP to IOS.

jpolczyn
Level 1
Level 1

AIR-AP1231G are not 802.3af power over ethernet access points. There are some 802.3af PoE switches which can provide Cisco-PoE, but if the switch does not explicitly support such power they will not power on the AIR-AP1231G.

For example, the HP ProCurve 2650-PWR will not power up AIR-AP1231G access points. The HP ProCurve 3500 series switches will.

It gets even more confusing when working with the 1240s and 1250s which only do 802.3af power. Then I find my Catalyst 4506 switches with Cisco-PoE 10/100 modules cannot power those access points but power the 1230s just fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card