cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 871 and VDSL

claudioham
Level 1
Level 1

I try to install a Cisco 871 Router to connect to T-Home VDSL. But I do not get it to work. Now I read that Cisco does not support VDSL. Ist this still true??

Regards

Klaus

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cisco support ADSL over pots, some model supports annex M. 871 has an ethernet interface. What is VDSL ?

Very High Data Rate Digital Subscriber Line.

Makes (theoratically) up to 53 MBit/s and you can have it here in Germany for Internet and TV over Internet.

Klaus

Hi, I've looked around and it seems very few vendors have VDSL modems/router, zyxel and avm are exceptions.

Cisco has VDLS products but calls them LRE. It is not a consumer grade product and I don't think is interoperable with other vendors.

So to use your 871 on VDSL you will need to front-end it with a third-party VDSL modem/bridge.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

wochanda
Level 4
Level 4

871 doesn't support ANY DSL, because it only has ethernet interfaces. I'm assuming you're connecting a DSL modem to the WAN port of the router to make this work, which means the router isn't "doing VDSL".

Do you need to do PPPoE or something?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: