cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch refresh

acabaza
Level 1
Level 1

We are faced with having to replace all of our Cisco 6500 switches because of end-of-life on all components by 2011. When I replace these devices I will have to provide POE capabilities to support plans to migrate to IP phones. I have taken this into consideration and will replace existing power supplies with the WS-CAC6000W model.

I'm planning on providing dual 220VAC input in order to get the max. power output of 6000W from the power supplies.

My planned configuration:

Chassis- 6506-E/6509-E/6513

Sup. Card - Sup32 at the access layer and Sup720 at the Core and Distribution layer.

Line Card - Ws-X6148A-45-AF

Power Supply - Dual 6000 watt

Power Input - Dual 220V

Questions:

1. Taking the worse case scenario of a fully populated 6509 or 6513 supporting the max. Class 2 devices; is the above configuration adequate to provide this service?

2. How much current and power will the power supplies draw from the input source in the worse case scenario?

3. Should I be concerned about heat dissipation?

4. If I request dual 220V 20Amp circuits from our facility group, is this adequate and correct?

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Alfredo,

As you have various Chassis and Supervisor, I recommend using Cisco's power calculator at http://www.cisco.com/go/powercalculator and customize the chassis to your liking.

Once you've entered all the information, a PDF report will be produced which you can keep for your records.

Please send my regards to Erik Molden.

HTH,

___

Edison.

I have used the power calculator.

My concern is the input power requirements and heat dissipation.

When I ran the calculations for a 6509-E, the results came out with a single/redundant 6000w with dual input to be using approx. 66.32%. Is this percentage acceptable?

The input power requirement and heat dissipation is included in the power calculator tool, please run a model of the hardware and you should see the appropriate output.

66.32% is acceptable.

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: