cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot connect to NAM

ltaylor
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've configured the NAM with the following basic configuration.

Problem: I cannot connect to the NAM from outside the local subnet. It's installed in a 6509 and all the networks are configured on the device.

1. I can ping all the router interfaces on the 6509 but nothing after that (i.e. a device connected to vlan).

2. If I put a pc on the same subnet, I can connect to the NAM.

3. I can ping the default-gateway from the NAM.

4. I can pin the NAM from the 6509.

I'm sure that I'm overlooking something simple, but I just can't figure it out. Thanks for your help.

7 Replies 7

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of code is running on the switch. You might be hitting CSCee10005. The workaround is to use a default-gateway on the same subnet, but on a different device (i.e. not an interface on the 6509).

I'm running 12.2(18)SXF9. It's not possible for me to use a default-gateway on a different device. The 6509 is the VTP server and the devices on the other end are clients. I'll just have to schedule downtime to upgrade. Thanks.

12.2(18)SXF code already has the fix. The problem must be elsewhere. Seeing the config on the switch would be helpful.

hi,

you fixed the problem ?

please can you tell more about the solution ?

alex

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you are hitting this bug, CSCee10005, then you need to be running a fixed version of code, then you need to configure the command:

fabric switching-mode force bus-mode

This will force the NAM to use bus-mode switching instead of fabric switching, and should resolve the connectivity problems. The workaround is configure an external default gateway on the NAM (i.e. not the switch in which the NAM is located).

hi,

thanks - this helps !

I looked to the bugtool notes - specially to the known affected versions - and find out that 12.2.18SXF11 is affected !

after configuration

fabric switching-mode force bus-mode

the nam could be administrate as expected.

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/knownAffectedVersions.do?method=fetchKnownAffectedVersions&bugId=CSCee10005

regards

alex

scott.hammond
Level 1
Level 1

You're already doing better than I am. I inherited a NAM that was never configured, I spent a few minutes on it and could never get to the point I could even ping it.

the fact that the box is a catos/ios hybrid with the msfc, was enough for me not want to mess with it very much. So I lost interest, thanks for the example though- I might take another whack at it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: