cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AutoCAD traffic using WAAS

mitchellkj
Level 1
Level 1

We installed WAAS last year. We see improvements with file acceleration with Microsoft based files, but no improvement with AutoCAD files. It still remains slooooow. I have even setup a preposition job for AutoCAD 'content' and all of our projects.

I'm running 4.0.15.b.6 on all my WAE devices. Is there a way to tell where WAAS is offering the prepositioned files or if it forcing AutoCAD to go across the WAN in order to retrieve the files it needs ??

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, KM

7 Replies 7

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Kenny,

You can do a few things (from the WAE running the WAFS Edge service):

1. Verify the server serving the AutoCAD files has been "found" by the WAFS acceleration component:

sh ci a h

This will give you a list of servers that WAFS will accelerate sessions for.

2. Verify the CIFS session is being accelerated:

sh ci s l

3. Verify the optimization level of the files you are opening:

show stat wafs expert "-server Rx -mbean CifsFileSystemDB -oper query"

An "Optimizations level" of zero indicates there is no oplock on the file, and hence it will not be served from cache.

What are the WAN characteristics you are dealing with (bandwidth and latency)?

We can also analyze a packet capture to get a better idea of the messaging between the client and server.

Zach

Zach, we're in a very similar predicament, where we're seeing very high latency specifically on the large files (30MB or higher). Could you please clarify how an "Optimizations level" number relates to whether or not the file will not be served from cache.

Thanks..

Also, are there any improvements in 4.1 for handling the oplock issues?

Thanks..

The oplock handling is the same in 4.1.

Zach

The "optimizations level" maps to the following:

0 = None

1 = Exclusive

2 = Batch

3 = Level 2

So an optimizations level of 0 means that there is no oplock present and we won't server data out of the cache.

Zach

Zach,

when I do the #show stat wafs expert

"-server Rx -mbean CifsFileSystemDB -oper query" command on the edge WAE, I see quite a few files with the "optimizations level" of 0. Am I to take from this that even though these files are in the local cache, they would still be served from the file server across the WAN? Are there more conclusive commands to determine where a file is going to be served from?

thanks

Yes, with an optimisations level of 0, data is not served out of the cache.

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: