Views
Helpful
Replies

User Defined Groups & NetConfig Wierdness

jeff.hardee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have RME 4.0.6 with LMS 2.6. I'm creating User Defined Groups through RME so that I can push password changes through NetConfig. The problem is, as I change membership in the groups I'm not seeing that reflected in NetConfig. For example, I can create a test group and populate it once and the password changes work fine. But when I change the membership of that group, NetConfig will now not show all of the members of the group *and* those devices are no longer shown in the All Devices list. Yet when I go back to edit the group through CS, I can see all of the members. I've tried refreshing the group membership through RME but that doesn't help.

Is there some other synchronization I need to do? Any assistance would be appreciated.

--Jeff

5 Replies 5

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Where are you defining the UDG's ? CS, Campus, RME ?

Single or multiple server cluster ?

Typically I only use CS to define UDG's for consistancy across applications.

Well, I first defined them through CS but when I noticed the weirdness I deleted the groups I had made and then defined them through RME.

I'm using a single server, so I'd imagine that each part of CW shouldn't need much time to synchronize.

Sorry for all the questions but are you using the automanage function of RME so that all DCR addtions/modifcations/deletions are syncronized with RME or are you using an application specific inventory ?

Could you post an example of your grouping rules ?

No problem on the questions. I should have mentioned earlier that I'm using the "Only Upon User Request" Membership Update option. When I create my group, then, I just skip past the create rules step. This is why I've tried selecting my group and refreshing the group membership in the Group Administration window. It probably shouldn't make a difference since I'm manually adding entries, but it was worth a try.

I'm aiming to create a test group, manually select objects, run a NetConfig task, then run another test by adding or taking away members in that same group. Failing that, I'd like to create a few groups, one with a few objects, one with those few and some more, etc.

Since I've run into the issue, I've tried creating a new test group with a different name and then populating it instead of reusing the original group. I can see all of my devices when creating the group, but when I try to run NetConfig on it, it will only run on about 2/3rds of the items. When I check the membership after the push, the membership has now changed to that reduced number of items (although the UDG looked at through CS shows more items in the same group). The password change does succeed, but only for the spontaneously changed group, the one with fewer items.

BTW, after the group is created, it shows my rule as:

INCLUDELIST {

# 35

Device$35>,

# 67

Device$67>,

# 53

Device$53>,

# 11

..."

It's a puzzle alright. Frankly, right now I'm going to start manually doing the changes. I'd be happy to use NetConfig if it were reliable, though.

Have you checked to see if those devices that were failing met the minimum managability criteria ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: