cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

asa5520 connect second t-1

kmcilvaine
Level 1
Level 1

I have an asa 5520 currently running with a t-1. I would like to add a physically seperate t-1 to load balance ..is this posible? 2 seperate isp routers.

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Keith

How is the 5520 currently talking to the T1? Since the 5520 has no serial interfaces I assume that it must be connecting through some device that has a T1 interface and an Ethernet/Fast Ethernet interface. What are the options for connecting another T1 to that device?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The t-1's are on seperate routers. The current 1 is connected via ethernet to the firewall. The second 1 is not connected yet but is also ethernet. I was wondering if i could connect a hub in between the t-1's and then create a second default route on the firewall.

Keith

I believe that the difficult part of this will be the second default route. You could certainly connect the 2 routers and the firewall using a hub or I would prefer to do this with a small switch.

Adding a second default route implies load sharing when both routes are available and failover if one default route fails. Unfortunately the 5520 does not do this.

If your objective were redundancy and failover you could connect the 2 routers and the firewall via hub or switch and configure HSRP between the routers Ethernet interfaces with the firewall default route using the shared IP as the next hop address in the default route. If the routers track their serial interfaces in the HSRP you would have effective redundancy and failover.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I was looking to do load sharing with the new t-1. It sounds like the 5520 does not do this and why? Is there any work around to this?

I have a spare asa5520 could i set that up as active/active and load balance the seperate t-1's

Keith

I do not have experience with this type implementation. But I would assume that you could use the active/active to send traffic over both T1s.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card