cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP on L3 Switches

Brian M
Level 1
Level 1

Will a 3650-E run BGP? If not, what's the smallest L3 switch I can get that does support it?

Thanks!!

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I believe the 3560 is the smallest platform to support the Enhanced Image and BGP.

HTH

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think you are referring to a 3560 and not 3650. To answer your question, Yes, a 3560 can run BGP.

But one thing to watch out for is the number of routes on the 3560. For example, if you are doing EBGP to the ISP and learning only default route, then you should be OK. But, if you are learning the partial or full internet routing table, 3560 will not scale to these numbers. If I remember correctly, the 3560 can handle somewhere around 15,000 routes.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Arul

Yes that does help (and yes am referring to a 3560). This will be on a permieter network facing the Internet and I will need to learn about 240,000 routes. I'm glad you mentioned that because I didn't even consider the size of the routing table. It looks like I will need to purchase some 2800's instead.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, you will definitely need a 2800 or 3800 chassis for the Full Internet Routing Table (240,0000 routes) and the ISR's do a pretty good job in terms of processing and routing all those routes.

Regards,

Arul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card