cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix 506e (lost connectivity, can not reach either in/out port)

ronaldboose
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 506e, that has been up and running for about 2 years with no issues. This morning a janitor accidently pulled the either cable going from the Outgoing Port to the Router out of the PIX, then instead of pluging it back into the same port, they plugged it into the console port.

Since that happened I am unable to ping both the inside and outside ports.

I have powered down the Pix, replaced the either cable to the correct port, recycled the Pix.

From the inside I am not able to ping the Pix (Was configured as IP Address 192.168.1.1). From an ouside IP Address I am not able to ping the outside address that we gave the PIX.

Could this have somehow resetted the PIX to factory defaults. (If so what is the factory default for a 506e)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Currently both ports LEDs are displaying activity and connectivity.

Thanks for any and all help.

4 Replies 4

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Ron, the only way to find out what is happening with the pix is to console to it, there is no other way to see by guessing what the issue is, there could be many probabilities, perhaps the configuration on PIX was never saved, or the Janitor not only pulled the cable but dropped the pix on the floor, or perhaps pix does not load code and got stock in Rommon etc.. PIX will not go into factory default settings unless you tell it to do so by command instructions.. so it must be something else.

so please conect to pix console and login.

Here are some commands you may try.

show ip will show interface IPaddresses

show interface whether interface is Up/Up or Up/down etc..

show run for showing configuration

Try these and see what the statuc of pix is.

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Jorge

Thanks for the help.

I tried to console into the Pix, However after connecting, I was not able to get a prompt. I recieve no echoing responses back from hyper terminal, however it does show that it is connected.

I do not know if this helps out or not, but the Power LED, and Network LED are on.

However the ACT LED is off.

Any suggestions would be aprreciated.

Once again many thanks.

We are having the same problem. No activity on either of the Ethernet ports and no prompt when connecting via the console. Any help is greatly appreciated.

For what it is worth I have had a similar issue with a 506e in the past and found that the power connector to the motherboard in the device needed to be reseated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card