cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding physical connection:T-3, fiber

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Imagine you have a new site on a remote area, no fiber or other telco services were ever explored.

If you order and get a T-3 installed, does it require the telco company to dig and install optical fiber there as well? I know that if you require a 'fiber ring', substantial work is required to get that fiber there. I am wondering whether a T-3 would require the telco company to dig and install fiber as well?

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You are not considering wireless, an entrepreneurial telco with the right license would be able to set a microwave radio link that is a very established technology. That is also how they link the cellular towers after all.

Then it also depends on what customer profile, fees and guarantee on continued business you have. Nobody wants to deploy infrastructure without a safe ROI.

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

It would all depend upon the carrier service that is provisioning the line. Agreed, it is overkill. However I'm sure surveys were done on the location by the carrier that would warrant them to install a fiber system into the building. Possibly they forsee growth or other customer requests into the building. MAybe they cannot get copper T-3 into the building do to tariff laws or building codes. All these must be considered. Either way if they are installing a fiber ring. Go for the service, it beats straight copper from the street....Good Luck..

In my experience, we have to order at least one POTS lines first, then we can order our circuits. We are working with T1 circuits and not LEC directly for our T1 circuits but I am thinking a T3 would be similiar. No matter what they install, you have to have conduit to the building. Your carrier service should tell you what they need from you and they should take care of most of it for you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card