Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch performance

Not sure if this is the best forum for this, but let me know if there's a better place to post. We are introducing a Cisco Catalyst 3560G into our network and want to move key servers to this switch (mail, file servers, mainframe). One of the new servers we are adding will be hosting image files. As a financial institution, we are scanning all our loan documents and will be storing them on a windows-based server and these images would be viewed via third-party software. One concern we have is that when people pull these images from diffent locations, that the performance on the other servers would be degraded because they reside on the same switch. If someone could give some suggestions or input on this, I'd appreciate it.

2 Replies 2

chris.cumbaa
Level 1
Level 1

32 Gbps forwarding bandwidth on the 3560 Series switches. I don't personally think it would be a problem, but someone else may know better than me. Here is some good info on your switch:

http://cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

Even with multiple NICs in an etherchannel, you wont be able to stress this switch.

For Example:

You will have about 16 Gbps upload and 16Gbps download capablity on this switch.

You would have to have every server on the switch communicating at full gigE speed with each other to even notice any bandwidth problems.

Now put into consideration application overhead. The max you will get on windows file servers is about 400-600 megabit. Email also doesnt consume much bandwidth.

My opinion is that you will be fine with this switch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card