Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to telnet to new router-

nygenxny123
Level 1
Level 1

This is the current make up.

We have a 3845 on our client end. We are connected to this 3845 (router a) via 2 t1 lines.. Router A is connected to a 3750 switch. We have also connected our new router to this 3750. It is also a 3845. (router B)

Router B is configured like this

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

ip address 192.168.2.247 255.255.255.0

duplex auto

speed auto

media-type rj45

Which is the connection to the switch.

I can telnet and ping from the local router and switch.

But not remotely, by tracert stops at the local router interface.

I only have the ip configured on new router...nothing else..

do i need a ip default-gateway on the new router? if so can i pick any ip

on router A as a gateway?

8 Replies 8

chris.cumbaa
Level 1
Level 1

Is the new router's switch-connected interface in the 192.168.2.0/24 network?

If you are traversing networks, you will need routing statements for subnets that are not directly connected.

This is a tracer to another host on the network. .2.3

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.250

2 1 ms 5 ms 1 ms 192.168.21.236

3 153 ms 150 ms 149 ms 192.168.100.254

4 7 ms 11 ms 11 ms 192.168.2.3

This is a tracer to the new router

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.250

2 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.21.236

3 6 ms 6 ms 5 ms 192.168.100.254

4 * * * Request timed out.

5 * * * Request timed out.

6 * * * Request timed out.

at this point i just want to be able to telnet into this router from a diff. subnet.

Im not routing anything out it yet.

but i can only ping and access this router from the switch its connected to and the primary router that the switch is connected to

Like Rick said, you need to configure your default route:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x

--where x.x.x.x is the 192.168.2.0/24 (maybe 192.168.2.1?) interface on the 192.168.100.254 router.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

You certainly need some routing information about how to forward to remote addresses. Functionally what you need on the new router is a default gateway. But your question worries me as it suggests that you may be thinking of configuring default-gateway on the new router. But this would not achieve what you need. The default-gateway provides a gateway in situations where the router is acting as a host and not as a router.

To get the default gateway you probably should configure a static default route. It would look something like this:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

If there are 2 T1s providing the connectivity you probably want 2 static default routes with each static default route pointed at the connected interface of the other router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

so im my new router i should put a default

route to the old router...and i should be able to ping the new router from a diff subnet?

Richard

Yes. If you put a valid default route into the new router then it should respond to ping (or telnet or whatever) from different subnets.

The problem is that without any routing information (such as static routes, static default route, or dynamic routing protocol) then the only thing that the router knows is its connected subnets. You can verify this by doing show ip route on the new router. In its current state the only thing that you will see in show ip route are its local routes. You need a default route (or some other routing information) to get to any remote addresses.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thx..at this poing im only trying to establish remote access so we can configure

Richard

At this point you should be able to telnet from the existing router to the new router using the interface connecting the old to the new router and access the new router. After you have configured the default route then you should be able to telnet from anywhere.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card