cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2620XM....DNS Questions..

SCORPION69
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2620xm router running c2600-advsecurityk9-mz.124-12 IOS.

-FastEthernet 0/0 is WAN

-FastEthernet 1/0 is LAN

1) Can the interfaces be configured with different hostnames...it seems that it will only see the hostname I enter.

2) DNS servers....I configure 1/0 with my LAN DNS servers.....when I try to set-up 0/0 to only see the ISP DNS servers it still sees the LAN DNS servers.

3)Domain name...I setup the LAN as xxx.abc.com...... I tried to setup the WAN as abc.com but again it does not seem possible.

Any help or suggestions...please are welcome.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To answer your questions:

1) interfaces do not have host names in IOS. The router has a single host name.

If we knew what you were trying to achieve with this we might be able to suggest alternatives that might accomplish your objective. But the router has a single host name.

2) The configuration of DNS servers for the router is global. There is not any specification that a particular DNS server is only accessed for certain interfaces.

3) The domain name is a single domain name that is global for the router.

Again if we knew what you were trying to accomplish we might be able to suggest alternatives.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

cpubob
Level 1
Level 1

AFAIK, the dns settings are per box, not per interface.

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To answer your questions:

1) interfaces do not have host names in IOS. The router has a single host name.

If we knew what you were trying to achieve with this we might be able to suggest alternatives that might accomplish your objective. But the router has a single host name.

2) The configuration of DNS servers for the router is global. There is not any specification that a particular DNS server is only accessed for certain interfaces.

3) The domain name is a single domain name that is global for the router.

Again if we knew what you were trying to accomplish we might be able to suggest alternatives.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

OK...thanks...I now understand that both DNS and the Domain Name are per box or a Global config.

I am glad that my answers were helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that you questions were resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read questions and can know that they will read responses which resolved the questions.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: