Views
Helpful
Replies

Inter-AS MPLS/VPN

hadisharifi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to get Inter-AS MPLS VPN working and have been following this example here "http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/interasvpn.html.

Everything seems to be fine, the routing table is there with the expected routes, but however on the ASBRs there is no inner label for the Customer Network. Which means that it breaks the connectivity and I am not able to ping the Customer Site.

I have followed this example very religiously but I am stuck.

17 Replies 17

cpubob
Level 1
Level 1

on your P routers that are ebgp neighbors, do you have the command "neighbor x.x.x.x send-label" or are you running ldp between your ebgp neighbors? Can you post the configs please.

The document you are following for the inter-as is option B.

Since you are getting the routes as desired from the remote as into the local as you must have received the labels as well for the customer prefixes.

Here is what you need to verify,

1) Check whether you have done a next-hop-self on each ASBR towards your IBGP peers.

2) Or if you have resdistributed connected into IGP at each ASBR.

This is to get NH reacability and build the LSP.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop,

I have tried both redistribute connected and next-hop-self towards iBGP peers. I do get the correct next hop address for the customer routes but end to end connectivity doesn't happen.

For iBGP peering I am using static for routes for my IGP and I am not sure if that has got to do anything with it, because I don't see what else could be wrong.

Hi CPUBB, I haven't explicitly configured the neighbor x.x.x.x send-label, as I read it's done by default in the latest versions of the ios.

I am not runing LDP between the EBGP neighbors either. It's a pure EBGP config and activating the neighbor under VPNV4.

router bgp 65412

no bgp default ipv4-unicast

no bgp default route-target filter

neighbor 192.168.10.1 remote-as 9718

address-family vpnv4

neighbor 192.168.10.1 activate

neighbor 192.168.10.1 send-community both

Regards

Hadi,

the example you are trying to perform is option B inter-as and doesnt require send label, and I am unable to confirm which current ios does send-label by default.

But you can confirm this by issuing,

"show ip bgp neigh x.x.x.x(remote ebgp peer ip), you should see Label Capability sent and received.

Since you are running static, and you must have done redistrbute connected in BGP itself but that wont create a label for the EBGP link, as BGP routes cannot be assigned a label.

If you want to run static only then can you verify if you are able to reach routes in a vrf on your local ASBR from you local AS PE.

If its a positive for the above then it should work with next-hop self towards your IBGP peers.

If it doesnt work still you can give an output of "show ip bgp vpnv4 all labels" from your ASBR and "show mpls forwarding" from your PE and ASBR.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Hi Swaroop.

I haven't enabled address-family ipv4 activation , do I need to do this? I don't see it being done as per the example on Cisco.

I am running static and I didn't redistribute connected in BGP but I did it in OSPF when I was running OSPF as IGP.

As I said now I am running static and I have configured next-hop-self towards the iBGP peers.

The routes are appearing in the customer VRF as expected but there is still no connectivty, but the funny thing is when I bring up the same customer VRF on either of the ASBRs, things start working straight away.

Hadi,

Can you attach your config for reference.

Thanks

Swaroop

Can I email it to you? or do you want me to post them here?

Regards

Yes you can email or attach it here in a zip.

Either ways its fine.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

I have sent the configs to your email address.

Hi Swaroop.

Yes, I can reach a vrf on the local ASBR from my local PE.

ASBR1#sh ip bgp vpn all la

Network Next Hop In label/Out label

Route Distinguisher: 9718:1

x.1.1.1/32 x.22.15.254 24/18

x.1.1.1/32 x.168.10.1 23/19

Route Distinguisher: 65412:2 (A)

x.1.1.1/32 0.0.0.0 19/aggregate(A)

x.1.1.1/32 x.22.15.254 nolabel/18

x.1.1.1/32 x.168.10.1 nolabel/19

ASBR1#sh mpls forwarding-table

Local Outgoing Prefix Bytes tag Outgoing Next Hop

tag tag or VC or Tunnel Id switched interface

16 Pop tag x.22.15.0/24 0 Fa0/0 x.22.225.2

17 Untagged x.22.31.0/24 0 Fa0/0 x.22.225.1

18 Pop tag x.168.10.1/32 0 Fa2/0 x.168.10.1

19 Aggregate x.1.1.1/32[V] 520

23 19 9718:1:x.1.1.1/32 \

1770 Fa2/0 x.168.10.1

PE#sh mpl forwarding-table

Local Outgoing Prefix Bytes tag Outgoing Next Hop

tag tag or VC or Tunnel Id switched interface

16 Untagged x.22.31.0/24 0 Fa0/0 x.22.225.1

17 Pop tag x.22.63.0/24 0 Fa0/0 x.22.225.3

18 Aggregate x.1.1.1/32[V] 520

Regards

Hi Hadi,

There seems to be no problem with your config.

But it seems that you are running old ios (12.2), so when you put static routes to a next hop ip on a broadcast media specify the interface and the nexthop ip together. when you do this you will see cef populating the label received via MPBGP in the forwarding table. (or else it may treat it as unusable)

verify this by "show ip cef vrf TEST 56.1.1.1"

Note: I did a quick check of you configs on my test topo, and it all worked fine with no problem, without the VRF A on ASBR1. But since I had new IOS even though my cef output shows as unusable but it still works. But i suspect in older ios that may not be the case.

HTH-Cheers,

Swaroop

Thanks Swaroop,

The IOS I am running is in my test LAB and even though I have changed the IGP from static to OSPF, it is still not working which might suggest that it's something to do with the IOS.

The real issue is with our production network where we are running IOS ver 12.1 and we are running static as our IGP. Changing the ios is not an option at the moment and possibly for sometime as there is no newer image for the particular platform we use.

Will changing the IGP form static to dynamic help? though I don't see it work in my lab.

Regards

Hadi

Hi,

I have found that my problem is with having /24 for my loopback address for bgp neighbor peering. As soon as that is changed to /32 everything works fine. But I have changed my igp to OSPF and have put the command "ip ospf network point-point" but still my ping doesn't work and I get the following debug out put on my local ASBR, I have enabled "debug mpls drop".

"*Jan 17 20:24:19.626: tagsw_switch_packet: Pkt drop -- rewrite null, incg label

19 hwinput Fa2/0"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: