cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

First 4 port lights remaining amber, Catalyst 2900xl

tim
Level 1
Level 1

The first 4 port lights are remaining amber. I'm thinking something has gone out inside of the switch. Upon boot it is showing

POST FAILURE front-end post: FastEthernet0/1

POST FAILURE looped-back packet not received

POST Failure front-end post: FastEthernet0/2

POST Failure front-end post: FastEthernet0/3

POST Failure front-end post: FastEthernet0/4

POST FAILURE looped-back packet not received.

I dont know if it is better to just patch around the ports that do not work, since the rest of the ports do, or if i should send the switch into cisco for repair, or just replace the switch since it is getting old?

3 Replies 3

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Tim,

It definitely looks broken. As for what to do about it, that depends on you, whether you need the four ports, whether you can tolerate broken equipment in you network (personally I cannot), whether you have a maintenance contract, and whether you have budget to replace it.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No way around it , it's failing POST. Time for a more up to date switch. Cisco won't repair it , its end of support .

I dont like semi working equipment either. For now i need the ports, so i guess i will continue to run with it, until we upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card