Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Network Assistant + Vista

amk316316
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i installed Cisco Network Assistant 5.3 on a Windows Vista Ultimate Machine, and it give me this message every time i start the program

title: Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Could not create the Java Virtual machine

i thought it was a java problem but restart the machine in safe mode and CNA ran ok!!!!

but in normal mode the massage apper all the time even if i install the latest java 1.6 u4

pleas any help!!!!!

4 Replies 4

aborole
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not a known issue on Vista. The error message you mention has been seen in the past on other OS resulting from problems with java heap settings. In normal mode on vista , can you do this test from a dos window:

Go to the directory "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.2\bin" or equivalent directory where you have installed CNA and issue the command "java -Xmx1024m -version" on the command line and see if you get any error message. Post that error text in your reply - it will help to find out if this is similar to the issues we have seen on other OS.

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.2\bin>java -Xmx1024m -version

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

This is the same problem I suspected. You can try setting a smaller java heap size than 1024m in C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\startup\startup.properties file - modify the line "JVM_MAXIMUM_HEAP=1024m" to use a value smaller than 1024 that works with your setup.

it worked after i put 512m

thank you aborole