Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Network Assistant + Vista

amk316316
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i installed Cisco Network Assistant 5.3 on a Windows Vista Ultimate Machine, and it give me this message every time i start the program

title: Java Virtual Machine Launcher

Could not create the Java Virtual machine

i thought it was a java problem but restart the machine in safe mode and CNA ran ok!!!!

but in normal mode the massage apper all the time even if i install the latest java 1.6 u4

pleas any help!!!!!

4 Replies 4

aborole
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not a known issue on Vista. The error message you mention has been seen in the past on other OS resulting from problems with java heap settings. In normal mode on vista , can you do this test from a dos window:

Go to the directory "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.2\bin" or equivalent directory where you have installed CNA and issue the command "java -Xmx1024m -version" on the command line and see if you get any error message. Post that error text in your reply - it will help to find out if this is similar to the issues we have seen on other OS.

C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\packages\runtime-1.2\bin>java -Xmx1024m -version

Error occurred during initialization of VM

Could not reserve enough space for object heap

Could not create the Java virtual machine.

This is the same problem I suspected. You can try setting a smaller java heap size than 1024m in C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\Cisco Network Assistant\startup\startup.properties file - modify the line "JVM_MAXIMUM_HEAP=1024m" to use a value smaller than 1024 that works with your setup.

it worked after i put 512m

thank you aborole

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: