cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to override LWAP/WiSM PoE ignorance

mike.harlow
Level 1
Level 1

I have a LAP-1130AG plugged into a 3750G port. As the 3750G is non-PoE, the LWAP has an AC power-pack/brick plugged in, but still generates this error in the WiSM syslog:

LWAPP-3-AP_POWER_ERR, and refuses to power up the radios.

A search on cisco.com for this error code tells me to search on cisco.com for an answer. Duh.

How to I tell the AP that it truly does have enough Power to turn on the radios?

On an autonomous AP, you can do a power inline overide command.

I have a WiSM, and WCS (former WLSE).

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mike,

See if this link helps you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/4.2/configuration/guide/c42lwap.html#wp1111701

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

mike.harlow
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ankur,

That fixed the problem. but created a whole lot of questions.

With a WiSM, which is actually two controllers, I have the two controllers set up as primary and secondary for each AP. I can only set the power options on the currently associated controller. So do I need to fail the AP over to the other controller, to set the power settings on it also? Or does the AP contain the settings, and will carry it over to the secondary controller should it's primary controller fail?

I would have hoped that these settings would have been in the WCS, so it could be duplicated across all my controllers for me. I do almost all of my LW wireless configurations on the WCS, and have it apply them to all controllers. This is why I hadn't found the AP power settings before, as I spend little time in the controllers web interface.

Regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

If you have configured this settings on AP when it had joined primary controller and when it fall back to secondary controller, it should retain its configuration/settings.

I will try to find out if this options are available on WCS and update you as soon as possible.

Regards,

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

johnruffing
Level 4
Level 4

Another option (esp. if you are using 3rd-party mid-span injectors) with Cisco Non-PoE switches is to disable CDP (Cisco Discovery Protocol).

This is because, although the Cisco switch does not have PoE, it knows about it it from a CDP standard. So, when the AP/LWAP initially powers up (with radios off for minimal power draw), it asks about the PoE capability of the Cisco switch using CDP. The Cisco switch says, I don't have any.

So the LWAP stays half-powered (LWAP is on and can be remotely managed, but its radios are off). For Cisco 1131 LWAP access points, The indication of this half-power state is a rather bizarre solid orange color on the color ring of the 1131 (which Cisco describes as "Amber"). Once CDP is disabled (by either disabling it from the access point or the Cisco non-PoE ethernet switch) all you need to do is power down and power up the access point (or the power injector) and you are ready to go.

(Thanks to earlier post by ron_mckie - Dec 24, 2006, 5:57am PST)

- John

(Please remember to rate helpful posts)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card