Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified messaging queries

UCBNOCWAN
Level 1
Level 1

I have a query -

What's the difference between Cisco Unity & Cisco Unified Messaging ? My understanding is that Cisco Unity only gives us Voice Mail, while Unified Messaging gives us many capabilties. I want to know exactly what capabilities.

Can anyone help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Abhijit,

You are always welcome (you know this!).

Yes, the new Cisco Unified Workplace Licensing does cover both aspects (Unity and CCM) along with some others. You would need the "Professional Edition" for Unified Messaging.

Q. What Cisco Unified Communications products are included in Unified Workspace Licensing?

A. Unified Workspace Licensing is available in two versions, Standard Edition and Professional Edition.

• Standard Edition includes a per-user license for the following: any model of Cisco IP phone, a Cisco Unity® or Cisco Unity Connection voice mailbox, a Cisco Unified Presence server, a Cisco Unified Mobility application, and a Unified Communications client (user's choice of Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, or Cisco Unified Video Advantage).

** Professional Edition includes everything in Standard Edition plus support for an unlimited number of Cisco IP phones per user, one Cisco Unity unified messaging mailbox per user, one Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator per user, and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace or Unified MeetingPlace Express audio, video, and Web conferencing.

I'm not sure about the size of this deployment so be careful with this caveat;

"There is a minimum quantity of 250 licenses for all new Unified Workspace Licensing orders."

From this good Q&A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps9156/prod_qas0900aecd806ccc43.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Abhijit,

Hope all is well with you my friend :) Here is the latest and greatest Comparison doc (you will see the features only available with UM);

Cisco Unified Messaging Feature Comparison

Version 2.0 Updated December 21, 2007

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6509/products_data_sheet0900aecd806bfc37.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Nice to hear from you. Hope you are doing good..

I was just wondering is there any doc that gives a brief overview of Unified Messaging?

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit Das.

Hi Abhijit,

You know the "feature" documentation for this is really awful (I try not to say thing like this here too often, but .....)

The best info I have really ever seen for this is in the Flash Demo #5 in this link;

http://www.cisco.com/cdc_content_elements/flash/cisco_uni_comm_3tab_web/

Hope this helps! And let me know what you think.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks a ton for this. I am going through this & will give you my feedback tomorrow.

Thanks,

Abhijit.

Hi Rob,

Thanks a lot.. All the features in Unified messaging look quite awesome.

If we go for CUWL licensing, will the same license work for both Call Manager 6.1 & Unified Messaging?

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit Das.

Hi Abhijit,

You are always welcome (you know this!).

Yes, the new Cisco Unified Workplace Licensing does cover both aspects (Unity and CCM) along with some others. You would need the "Professional Edition" for Unified Messaging.

Q. What Cisco Unified Communications products are included in Unified Workspace Licensing?

A. Unified Workspace Licensing is available in two versions, Standard Edition and Professional Edition.

• Standard Edition includes a per-user license for the following: any model of Cisco IP phone, a Cisco Unity® or Cisco Unity Connection voice mailbox, a Cisco Unified Presence server, a Cisco Unified Mobility application, and a Unified Communications client (user's choice of Cisco IP Communicator, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, or Cisco Unified Video Advantage).

** Professional Edition includes everything in Standard Edition plus support for an unlimited number of Cisco IP phones per user, one Cisco Unity unified messaging mailbox per user, one Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator per user, and Cisco Unified MeetingPlace or Unified MeetingPlace Express audio, video, and Web conferencing.

I'm not sure about the size of this deployment so be careful with this caveat;

"There is a minimum quantity of 250 licenses for all new Unified Workspace Licensing orders."

From this good Q&A doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps9156/prod_qas0900aecd806ccc43.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob again.. I am readning further on Unified Messaging & CUWL. Will definitely get back to you again if I have doubts. Have a nice day.

Regards,

Abhijit Das.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: