Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup Problems In LMS 2.6

wil6707
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

When trying to do a backup to the local drive on my CW server i get the following error:

Backup failed. Reason is ERROR(683): Cannot create or back up tar file. Backup cancelled. Verify that you have write-access to this directory.. Please look into C:/PROGRA~1/CSCOpx/log/dbbackup.log. for more details.

I checked the log but it didn't really give me a lot of help. I also verified the permissions on the folder to make sure the access was right. I thought maybe casuser needed access so I granted that, but that didn't fix it either. Any ideas?

I attatched the backup logs.

Wil

5 Replies 5

David Stanford
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have verified that casuser has full control of this backup directory try a couple of things:

1) rather than backup directly to d:, create a folder under here (with proper permissions) and then try to backup to it

2) Check if cygwin1.dll is in $NMSROOT/bin folder. If not try copying this .dll from $NMSROOT/setup/support and then try the backup.

I actually tried to backup to a specific folder that I created once already with no luck. And the file you speak of is not in either of the directories you mentioned.

Thanks,

Wil

There should be a cygwin1.dll under NMSROOT\bin. If not, then he will get this error. It has to be the specific CiscoWorks version.

Do you have any other third-party software like OpenSSH, IBM Tivoli Backup Manager, and other installed on the server?

No it doesn't look like it. Just some HP software that came with the server and I have Wireshark installed. Thats all.

If this dll is missing your backup won't. Do a search on the system to see if its there and used by other software. If it is, remove this software.

You'll still need a copy of the one from LMS. You can get it from another LMS Server (from the NMSROOT/bin dir) or contact TAC to get / troubleshoot this.

The same dll from another appplication will not work for LMS