Etherchannel and STP

Answered Question
Jan 16th, 2008

Hi,

I'm happy that STP treats an Etherchannel as a single link but I was wondering how it selects which interface within the bundle it uses for STP e.g. is it the lowest port?

Many thanks,

Chris

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by mohammedmahmoud about 9 years 3 days ago

Hi,

EtherChannel is seen as a single port by STP. All the ports in the channel share the same STP state and only one STP bridge protocol data unit (BPDU) can be sent or received for each VLAN, this BPDU is physically transmitted by one of the links in the channel, i beleive that STP always chooses the first operational port in the channel group to send this BPDU.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
LordFlasheart Thu, 01/17/2008 - 00:41

Hi and thanks. The port channel is a logical thing whereas I'm after which physical interface STP chooses to use (sorry if I didn't make that clear in the first place).

Correct Answer
mohammedmahmoud Thu, 01/17/2008 - 02:03

Hi,

EtherChannel is seen as a single port by STP. All the ports in the channel share the same STP state and only one STP bridge protocol data unit (BPDU) can be sent or received for each VLAN, this BPDU is physically transmitted by one of the links in the channel, i beleive that STP always chooses the first operational port in the channel group to send this BPDU.

BR,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Actions

This Discussion