cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4404 LAG Mode question

schadmin
Level 1
Level 1

What port channel id does the controller use or how can I find out? I created the port-channel to the controller and enabled lag mode but the interfaces are not coming up. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

5 Replies 5

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

When you enable LAG on controller you have to reboot the controller first. Also when it is rebootting you have to go ahead and create channel-group on the switch ports which are connected to the controller and at the time when you define channel group you can define the group number.

Something like this

interface gig1/0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

interface gig1/0/2

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

channel-group 1 mode on

This will automatically create a port channel with number 1 and you can see the same using command "sh etherchannel summary"

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

leigh_mcdade
Level 1
Level 1

Are you using the GLC-T modules in the controller? These have an issue with bringing up the ports on the controller for some reason. I have installed these at a few customer sites and had to reboot the controller several times to get all ports up and in the channel. If the controller goes down for any reason there is no guarantee that all ports will come up in the channel when it comes back online. I think this must be an unfixed bug in the software as it seems to happen across different versions, or a hardware fault on the controller as I have tested the same GLC-T modules in a 3750 and they work fine with my laptop connected to them.

Hope that helps.

This may be the issue. I will have to check it out when I get in tomorrow. Is it just the GLC-T? If I use the Fiber version of the SFP (I think GLC-MM-SX) then that should be fine?

Yes, that's correct. I don't ever recall having the problem with the fibre SFP modules.

Ankur,

Could you verify this with someone in the controller group. It's the first Ive heard of this with the copper modules. This would need to be addressed or the customer would need to create 4 different virtual interfaces for the 4404s when using copper SFP modules to insure reliability.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card