cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 501 - 50 User license?

pschwalger
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please advise how Cisco determines the 50 user license limit.

A company I do business with has a Cisco 501 which is used ONLY for remote vpn (Windows XP - using PPTP) users to connect to internal hosts.

Internal users are routed to the internet via a PFsense firewall.

They have 25 remote users nationally & internationally but they have a problem getting any more than 12-16 remote users connected concurrently.

If there are multiple internal hosts being accessed by the remote users, how are the licenses counted i.e. is it 50 x unique source ip addresses or is it

based on session limits in the translation (xlate) table.

I have done a bit of reading and have read differing views so am a bit confused.

I have been asked to help troubleshoot this problem & have asked for details of the Cisco 501 config, error messages, IOS etc...BUT Im told that everything works fine EXCEPT that they hit a limit of approx 12-16 remote users connected concurrently so I was wondering if this was possibly a licensing problem?

thanks, Peter

1 Reply 1

pschwalger
Level 1
Level 1

PIX version is 6.3(5)

Remote users are radius authenticated...

Another question this probably leads to is how many simultaneous VPN peers will a Cisco 501 support with a 10 / 50 User License.

e.g. Maximum number of simultaneous site-to-site or remote access IKE Security Association (SAs) supported...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: