QoS on Cisco 831 between networks

Unanswered Question
Jan 16th, 2008

I am very new to QoS (having never implemented it before) and am not even sure if what I want to do is possible, but here goes. We currently have several vlans in our organization, including vlans for public computers, staff computers, printers, etc. Is it possible to configure QoS to give 80% of our internet bandwidth to the staff vlan and the other 20% to the public vlan, unless the staff wasn't using the full 80%, and then it could go back to the public? If so, how would one accomplish this?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
bjornarsb Fri, 01/18/2008 - 06:22


Try this:

class-map match-all staff

match access-group 102

policy-map Queueing

class staff

bandwidth percent 75


interface FastEthernet0

bandwidth 8192

service-policy output Queueing

You can of cource create more classes, but keep in mind that you can only do QOS on 75 %



bjornarsb Fri, 01/18/2008 - 10:30


access-list 102 permit ip any

access-list 102 permit ip any

and so on.....

(staff networks)

alucky8ball Fri, 01/18/2008 - 11:35

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to make a difference. Any more suggestions?

Also, does it matter if the router is being run in reverse? Currently we're using an 831 with the internet on the local interface, and the local on the internet interface.


PAUL TRIVINO Fri, 01/18/2008 - 11:46

If you want to control all of your bandwidth (instead of 75%) put:

max-reserved-bandwidth 100

on the same interface as the service policy. Enter the command first, then your policy BW can add up to 100%.

Just make sure you understand your traffic....



This Discussion