Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with traceroute passing through Firewalls balanced with ACE

moitessier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I'm having lots of problems allowing traceroute through some firewalls balanced by a couple of ace service modules (on cat 6500). As explained by the cisco configuration guide I'm using hash predictors to keep traffic persistent on the right firewall but this clearly doesn't work with traceroute because, with the exception of the last hop of a trace, the destination IP for the echo request on the way out is always different from the source IP of the echo replay on the way in. The result is that ashes calculated by the ace modules are different an traffic doesn't flow always through the same firewall.

I hope I've been clear explaining my situation and it would be great if someone could help me.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think the only solution is that you allow your firewalls to route the icmp ttl expired message from any source.

You can't guarantee that this message will go back to the same firewall as the initial icmp echo request (or udp probes for traceroute in the unix world).

Gilles.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: