Helpful
Replies

Internet load balancing (sharing)

saimbt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a rather silly query.

I have 1 router and 2 internet links from a single provider.

I dont have BGP configured and have configured 2 static default routes pointing to teh respective WAN IP's.

This will give me outbound load sharing.

What would the ISP be doing at their end to achieve inbound load sharing.

-Sai.

2 Replies 2

asanlu1977
Level 1
Level 1

to my modest point of view, you have to implement BGP so that your provider can achieve load sharing.

rgds

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They could be doing something as simple as you're doing, i.e. two static routes. Although instead of using the default, they would normally route to your assigned Internet address block. Additionally, your block of address space is probably injected into dynamic routing protocol within the ISP. The ISP will then either advertise it or a larger address block to the Internet.

PS:

Since you're only using one router with dual links, usually an individual flow won't be able to obtain more than one link's worth of bandwidth. Also, two flows may, or may not, use both links. I.e. One link could be congested while the other isn't. If you're actually connected to a single ISP router too, you might inquire whether you could use something like MPPP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card