cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP phones

Eduardo AYALA
Level 1
Level 1

I like to know what happened when an IP phone is connected the network.

How does it get the IP address?

What recognizes the IP phone MAC address?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The phone gets its IP address from a DHCP server based on its VLAN membership. The phone registers with Callmanager based on its MAC address. For a more detailed explanation of the phone boot process, see the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/trouble/4_0_1/tb401b.html#wp1003401

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

View solution in original post

It does this based on the voice vlan configured on the switchport. The phone will broadcast for an address in the subnet configured on the voice vlan interface.

Brandon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The phone gets its IP address from a DHCP server based on its VLAN membership. The phone registers with Callmanager based on its MAC address. For a more detailed explanation of the phone boot process, see the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/trouble/4_0_1/tb401b.html#wp1003401

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

An ip phone can either receive an IP address from a DHCP server, or it can be statically set.

The ip phone needs to have a TFTP server set as part of it's IP configuration. This is often the ip address of the Callmanager.

The MAC address is configured on the Callmanager, and is 'recognized' when the phone attempts to register to the Callmanager.

Eduardo AYALA
Level 1
Level 1

I like to thank the 2 gents who answered my question but one last question. After I connect the RJ45 cable to the IP phone. How does my switch recognize and routes the IP phone to the DHCP server?

Thanks.

It does this based on the voice vlan configured on the switchport. The phone will broadcast for an address in the subnet configured on the voice vlan interface.

Brandon

Buffin,

Thanks that was what I was looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: