cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.0(5) service pack installation and more...

macsteelusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We've been using Unity 4.0(4) SR1 since late 2004. We have not applied any patches on application nor OS since everything worked perfectly as we expected.

However we'd like to upgrade current release to 4.0(5) for specific function. I see there is a 4.0(5) service pack on Cisco download but I'm not sure if this service pack was for 4.0(5) or 4.0(4) to be upgrade to 4.0(5).

Do I have to upgrade current version to 4.0(5) to apply this service pack? or Can I just apply 4.0(5) service pack to 4.0(4) for that to be upgraded to 4.0(5)?

Another quick question is that we're thinking about upgrading our e-mail infrastructure from MS Exchange 2003 to 2007 in near future. I know Unity 5.x version is the only one that support Exchange 2007. Is there minimum Unity version requirement to be upgraded to version 5.0? or can any 4.x versions be upgraded to 5.0?

Thank you.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are planning on going to Unity 5.x, I would hold off on the upgrading to 4.0.5 then. It really does not do much for you if you currently have not problems in 4.0.4.

In my opinion, the best path would be to purchase a new server for Unity 5.x. You can then swing the users from old to new server instead of having to rebuild on the current platform, then a 2 years later, replace that hardware, etc.

If you do you want to upgrade 4.0.4, you will need to "upgrade" to 4.0.5 then run the Service Releases for that version.

it's also advisable to run the Cisco Unity Windows Update file. This contains all the MS hotfixs for the OS, Exchange, and SQL that are needed. It will compare what you have installed and what is needed, then run. It's pretty slick.

You can only Unity 5.x *when* Exchange 2007 is in use. There is no min to upgrade from Unity 4.x to 5.x.

hope this helps

View solution in original post

Looks great! I would however, add in the very first thing you do with the old server is to run a backup with DIRT. But then also to Pull a drive from the mirror. This way, if all is lost and nothing works, just shut down, push the saved drive into the working slot and boot up. All is back to the way it was.

Also add in you have touch Unity before step 9. (setup up Unity to Exchange 2007)

I did (3) like this and they all seem to go fine. I did one that the Passwords did not migrate, but no big deal. I would during the migration process of subscribers, go in sections of smaller blocks. Dont do them all at once. Also, do not break the digital networking right away. let everything sync up in the unity's and digital networking. I think my mistake on the passwords was I did it too fast and the data was still replicating or moving around in SQL.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Tommer Catlin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are planning on going to Unity 5.x, I would hold off on the upgrading to 4.0.5 then. It really does not do much for you if you currently have not problems in 4.0.4.

In my opinion, the best path would be to purchase a new server for Unity 5.x. You can then swing the users from old to new server instead of having to rebuild on the current platform, then a 2 years later, replace that hardware, etc.

If you do you want to upgrade 4.0.4, you will need to "upgrade" to 4.0.5 then run the Service Releases for that version.

it's also advisable to run the Cisco Unity Windows Update file. This contains all the MS hotfixs for the OS, Exchange, and SQL that are needed. It will compare what you have installed and what is needed, then run. It's pretty slick.

You can only Unity 5.x *when* Exchange 2007 is in use. There is no min to upgrade from Unity 4.x to 5.x.

hope this helps

tcatlinins,

Thanks for your prompt response.

I would love to get a new box, then 'swing' the users from old to new, but how do I do that? Did you mean like migrating VM subscriber from old box to the new one? In that case can old and new version co-exist together and move subscriber from one place to others?

Thanks.

Personally, im not a huge fan of DIRT. So what I have been doing is the following:

install the new server with Unity 5.x, into the existing AD with current 4.x deployment. Integrate it to the old Exchange 2000.

You will need to make sure the existing Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2007 are in the same ORG. Or this will not work.

Digitally network the Unity systems together.

Re-create your CallHandlers, system settings, blah blah on the new Unity 5.x server. I do this by saving the wav files and copy and paste them to the new server.

If you have extensive CallHandlers, a DIRT backup/restore might be better. (time is a factor)

Using the Global Subscriber Migration tool, you can move subscribers from the OLD server to the new server. (fairly simple to do.) This will bring over all their personal greetings, passwords, recorded name, etc)

Once they are moved to the new server, test everything out. Let it run for a week or so all the bugs are worked out, etc. CH are tested, etc.

Now, when you are ready, have the AD people migrate the users from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2007. ONce they are moved, you will need to run the Mailstore tool and associate the Unity 5.x server to the new 2007 server. It should sync everything back up update all the mailstore for each subscrber.

Of course, when you have another server, you can test some of this fairly simple without a lot of risk. If you are doing this in place, you need a rollback plan of attach. (DIRT, Pull a drive, etc)

hope this helps

tcatlinins,

Great info. I'd rather go with 'migration' option than 'in-place upgrade' as you suggested.

We have not deployed 2007 yet since it requires new facelift on AD schema. Everything will be tied into one ORG so no problem fo us.

I have several questions about your comments;

1. install the new server with Unity 5.x, into the existing AD with current 4.x deployment. Integrate it to the old Exchange 2000. <- I'm assuming that you want us to install new 5.x with home Exchange server pointed to Exchange 2000/2003, correct?

1. Digitally network the Unity systems together <- what do you mean by that? I noticed people with 5.x used this term quite often.

2. Re-create your CallHandlers, system settings, blah blah on the new Unity 5.x server. <- Can call handlers have the same extension# on different system?

3. If you have extensive CallHandlers, a DIRT backup/restore might be better. (time is a factor) <- I'm assuming that I would have to run DIRT from 4.x and restore backup from 5.x. I thought you could only restore information from the backup that was performed on the same platform.

Again I really appreciate your information.

Thanks.

1. Yes, because then you use and test the new Unity server with the existing Exchange 2000/2003. It's a two step process. Upgrade Unity first, then Exchange.

2. http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/dig-ntwk-mixed-exchg.html

Digital networking basically means the servers are aware of each other and can share information. The only reason we digital network servers is that we want to use it for the Globals Migration tool in the Unity tools depot. You can break down the digital networking when you are done with the migration.

2. (numbers are off :) ) You want to recreate everything exactly, because this Unity server will be your production server. They are not used until you actually break the connetion between Unity 4.x and CUCM and then recreate the connection with Unity 5.x and CUCM.

3. You can run DIRT. DIRT backup the Unity 4.0.4 server. Then install Windows 2003, Unity 4.04, etc. and restore DIRT to the new server. This will have all your CH, subsribers, everything. But then you have to upgrade to Unity 5.x after that. So if you have time, and want to install unity twice you can. The breaking point is the CH in my opinion. If you have a ton of CH to recreate, then maybe DIRT is more effecient. if you dont then taking 3 minutes to recreate the CH, is not a big deal.

Cheers

Great!

So if I summarized your comments, what I wanted to dos are;

1. Install Unity 5.x on new server (homed to Exchange 2000/2003 server)

2. Digitally networked old and new Unity server.

3. Recreate CH and system settings.

4. Migrate VM subscriber from old Unity to new with using global migration tool.

5. Break digital networking

6. Evaluate new system

7. Decommission old Unity

8. Install Exchange 2007

9. Migrate mailboxes from 2003 to 2007

Please review and correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Looks great! I would however, add in the very first thing you do with the old server is to run a backup with DIRT. But then also to Pull a drive from the mirror. This way, if all is lost and nothing works, just shut down, push the saved drive into the working slot and boot up. All is back to the way it was.

Also add in you have touch Unity before step 9. (setup up Unity to Exchange 2007)

I did (3) like this and they all seem to go fine. I did one that the Passwords did not migrate, but no big deal. I would during the migration process of subscribers, go in sections of smaller blocks. Dont do them all at once. Also, do not break the digital networking right away. let everything sync up in the unity's and digital networking. I think my mistake on the passwords was I did it too fast and the data was still replicating or moving around in SQL.

Perfect!

Thank you so much for paying attention to this post and providing suitable solution for us.

Have a nice day.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: