Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP over the internet with CME

I am going on CME 4.2 and CUE 3.1.1, I want to setup from remote end using Cisco IP phone SIP to register to CME via the Internet.

Remote end is using Linksys WRT160N router

Note: No VPN tunnel

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sure, it's possible. Be aware that if you have nat and/o rfw between internet and CME router, you can need additional configuration.

Also be aware that due the nature of CME works, anyone can place calls, so use ACL to restrict SIP to the addresses you want.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

you mention about additional configuration, what are those.

ACL to restrict SIP call?

In LAN SIP phones are working okay and here is my configuration.

That would configuration on NAT/FW device to allow SIP calls.

If the CME interface is directly connected to the internet, you will need an ACL to restrict SIP only from known addresses. I understand this is a limitation when the address is not known in advance, unfortunately configuring authentication for incoming calls is quite complicated, requiring radius, etc.

Right now, SIP can register via the Internet but I have one way audio typical routing issue and NATing. Can you help me with this

You need to configure NAT/FW to allow audio to pass.

Cisco devices do that automatically, no configuration needed. Other makers require configuration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: